Thursday, January 26, 2012

Flylady and Freecycle

I'm not sure how much I have spoken about this in the past, but I have been following flylady for years, doing the routines on and off. It's always a chore with 7 people, 3 dogs and just the normal chaos of life to keep up with the basics. For the new year I have made a huge effort to actually keep up with these cleaning lists and daily emails. My house looks incredibly organized these days! I am in shock at how easy it is to get things done in 15 minutes if you actually spend 15 minutes every day working on a hotspot. I do 1 load of laundry right before I go to bed at night, then when I wake up in the morning I throw it in the dryer and it's done and folded before I have to get the kids off to school. After I get back I spend about 5 minutes delivering the clothes to the proper child's basket and dropping it in their bedroom. No piles on the table I use in the laundry room. And when I get back from work I'm not irritated at laundry that's dry but unfolded and wrinkly or worse still wet and in the washer...and stinky!

The dishes are done every evening and in the morning, if someone got up in the middle of the night for a snack, I do a quick cleanup and after getting home my boys take turns putting them away.

Coats and bags and such are put away when the kids walk in...making them come back and put them away properly gets quicker long term  results than doing it myself ! Apparently they really think it sucks to have to come back to the entry way to pick up their stuff...listening to me complain doesn't seem to bother them! More times than not in the last 2 weeks I have not had to call any of them back to the entryway! HURRAY!

I also managed to get my bedroom closet and my 2 youngest boys closets cleaned out (with their help when doing their closet). We are part of the local freecycle website in our community and I was able to post several bags of clothes, a winter coat, and a pair of dress shoes that went to bless someone else in their home and managed to help me de-clutter without adding to a landfill or dropping it at an overpriced resale/salvation army type store.

Now I am able to relax in the evening...It's only 7:03 right now and dinner is done, dishes are clean, my sink is shining, I've been online for about 30 minutes while my boys finish their homework and after that I'll start a load of laundry, take out the recycling and then cozy up on the couch next to my dear husband and watch something interesting on t.v. before going to bed...and I won't be stressed out or bitchy!

Thank you flylady & freecycle! My house is cleaner and I'm a more effective and efficient wife and mother!

No comments: