Thursday, February 2, 2012

Photo giant Kodak filed for Bankruptcy

This economy is still in the toilet and now one of the biggest, if not the biggest, names in photography for years has filed bankruptcy.

Kodak has been unable to keep up in this digital world and unfortunately they are now going to have to try restructuring...I have my doubts that this will keep them afloat.

Unfortunately for Kodak, the photography industry has turned towards digital photography. Don't get me wrong there are still those that prefer film, or that use it in certain instances. However, digital photography gives an immediate return at a lower cost. There are arguments for both sides of things and truth be told I have always enjoyed the surprise effect and the excitement that surrounds opening a package of processed film (unfortunately I never learned how to process my own film and at this juncture I am uncertain that I will ever have that opportunity).

The articles I did read regarding the Kodak bankruptcy indicated that Kodak has it's hopes for a resurgence pinned on a new camera (digital) that they are releasing. Unfortunately for them I believe this will be too little too late. When it comes to digital camera's, myself and most of the other photographers I have spoken with will not take the chance on buying a Kodak camera. Kodak isn't known for being able to compete with such camera's as Leica, Nikon or Cannon, or any of a number of other digitals.

This is most likely the beginning of the end for the giant in this industry. Which, saddens me. I remember my first Kodak 110 camera. I took it to summer camp every year. It was a trusty camera that always delivered and that has allowed me over the years to look back and remember some of the friends I made during those long lazy summers. It allowed me to capture moments that have long since passed.

I am hoping that Kodak is able to restructure and hold on to some niche in the photography industry...we shall see.

Thoughts?

No comments: