Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Bus Troubles

As some of you may know from conversations recently, we had a problem on the bus the other day. Another little boy grabbed Brendon by the back of the neck and was choking him. The school and the district really dragged their feet on this. There was even a tape from the bus, that the bus company told me they had on the day it happened. The school didn't review it until 2 days later, that was after trying to tell me that those tapes only run at the districts request etc.
At first they weren't even going to kick this kid off the bus at all....Well, since some of you know me pretty well, I would assume you know I about had a coronary about that. I also received a letter (email) from someone I know in the district who said that the schools have been told by the district to be very careful with punishments to black children in our district unless there is a video tape because there are prominent leaders in our community who would like nothing better than to scream racism. Now this really ticks me off at a couple of levels. 1. My boys were kicked off the bus for 3 days last year for yelling at each other. 2. All of the children should be expected to behave at the same level of expectation, behavior should not be based on the color of your skin or the language you speak. ALL CHILDREN SHOULD BE HELD TO THE SAME LEVEL OF EXPECTATION FOR BEHAVIOR.
I threatened to call the local and/or national media about this. I was livid. Only after I threatened to do that did they (the district people) move their butts into gear and actually view the tape with the school principal and suspend the kid. I have since been told by the district people that I don't have a right to view the tape (Load of crap because I am the parent) plus the transportation liaison informed me prior to the districts assistant superintendent talking to me that I had every right to view the tape.
I am very unhappy with this district, with the lack of expectations, and with the general attitude I was given during this whole thing. Even the police officer that took the report agreed with me that this was a load of crap! Oh, yeah did I mention he was a black police officer.
Now, this little boy who attacked my kid will be back on the bus at some point during the year, so I will have to worry about backlash to my kids, especially since they get on and off at the same bus stop. What a crock. He shouldn't be allowed back on the bus the rest of the school year! Also, he should be put in counseling...any kid at the age of 7 that is grabbing someone by the neck has some serious violent tendencies and needs some help and guidance that he obviously isn't getting at home....especially considering I saw him across the street playing at the park the day after his mother was notified about what happened. I guess her expectations for him are pretty low.
We also know this family and the fact that she didn't come down to our house with him in tow to make him apologize has me very aggravated. This is part of the problem, the attitude of the parents anymore....
So, off my soap box but still unhappy/unsatisfied.

No comments: