Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Work, People who are more stubborn than I am...etc.

Good morning everyone!

It looks like a beautiful day out before the cold and rainy weather sets in this weekend.

Yesterday we had some MAJOR drama at work! It was certainly interesting, a little sad and ridiculous but interesting non the less.

Gail, our receptionist, was having a "spell" as she calls them. She was Dizzy, her left eye was droopy, she couldn't stand up and walk and then she started drooling. We work in Health Care. So of course, our D.O.N. , A.D.O.N., Medicare Nurse Manager, and outgoing Administrator, and incoming Administrator were there. Checking her blood pressure and so on. At one point I believe they said her blood pressure was 210/160. Okay that's just insane! So, they tell her she needs to get over to the doctor. She refuses. They offer to call her husband, she tells them not to. They say well Gail you can't work like this. She says "FINE, I'll Walk Home."
Of course they aren't going to let her walk home! Finally they call 911. The paramedics get there and she refuses their help! So, they make her sign off that she's refusing treatment. She doesn't understand why ...I guess (I walked away because listening to someone act like that is just too much for me!) the paramedic tells her she has to sign the form because she's obviously got a medical condition and if she refuses to let him help her and she ends up with more problems later he can lose his license. She finally signs it. As he walks out he says "we'll see you again when you're on the floor!" Ok, that's kind of funny....I mean...good for him for telling her the truth of it. We told her repeatedly she was showing signs of actively stroking. She still refused. Finally they called her husband. He's considerably younger than her and she made him take her home.

The drama continued later when they called her to tell her she has to have a medical release before she comes back to work. She was PISSED!

So, guess who's working the front desk today....Ding, ding , ding, yep it's me!
I have a meeting at lunch time though and I will be leaving for it and they can kiss off if they don't like it! Someone else can come and work the desk! I'm leaving for a lunch!

I tried to call Gail last night after I was home, Sabas (her husband) answered the phone, said she was sleeping, which was probably bullshit. I told him that I wanted to see how she was ...he said she was fine and resting. He was very short and so I'm assuming she was right there and pissed at all of us!

Personally, I think she's being dumb. She has high blood pressure, probably diabetes and could probably get everything under control but doesn't want to see a doctor and have a diagnosis. But, it's America, and she's just as free to seek medical treatment as she is to refuse it.

***********************************************************************************
Moving on from the Gail drama.
Tonight I have to go to the church for a volunteer training program. That should be fun. I'm debating whether I should stay at work until it's time to head over to the church or whether I should come home and feed the 5 mouths first.
************************************************************************************
I got a super sweet message from my best friend on here yesterday. She's been my best friend since Kindergarten so it was nice to hear from her. We really don't get to see each other as much as we'd like, but she lives about 150 miles from us..and with the kids (7 between the two of us) and work and all that stuff like LIFE, it makes it hard to get together. Anyway, she read my blog, and left me a sweet message that made me feel much better! I love you too Kay! and I miss the hell outta ya!
************************************************************************************
Parent Teacher Conferences are tomorrow. Fun times. Starting at 6:00 p.m. 3 boys, 3 teachers. I swear I really want to yell about how much homework they have and how much of it needs parent involvement. I honestly do not have time to get everything done at night. I get home between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. most nights, I have to fix dinner, feed the people, clean up from dinner, this is about a 2 - 2.5 hour ordeal. Then I have to help with homework...which we try to start while I'm cooking dinner...but which always overflows into the later evening. Now Gaven has a research project due on December 19th....could we pick a worse time of year to do a research project? I am teaching a class on Wednesday nights....so homework on Wednesday nights will be hit or miss.

For all you teachers who might read this I don't mean to sound like an ungrateful jerk however....

1. I am not a teacher because I don't have the patience.
2. You have my child for 7.5 hours per day....teach them what they need to know!
3. I am not in school- I should not have to spend my evening doing homework! Half of the instructions that come home I need a darn tutor to understand!
4. If you are unable to teach my children in 7.5 hours a day what they need to know (my kids are in 2nd and 4th grade) then perhaps you need to rethink your career choice!

I hear a lot of parents complain about this, but none will actually complain to the teachers because they are all involved in this and that and don't want to ruffle feathers. Well, I'm not those parents. I will ruffle feathers. I should ruffle feathers. Do your job. I don't get to tell my residents that I didn't get their insurance billed so they will need to take it and do it in their room during the night. I have 8 hours to do my job during the day...that's it, end of story!


You want to send homework that's fine...don't have it where they have to read to me for 15 minutes. 15 minutes x 2 kids = 30 minutes of my time. Then there's the math homework which takes another 15 - 30 minutes per kid...15 x3 = 45 minutes. Add it up...I get home and cook, feed them, clean up, and then have to help with homework and still get them ready for tomorrow, and to bed by 8:30 p.m. By the time I get done and put them in bed, I'm ready for bed - because I'm exhausted from doing my job and the teachers job! What a load of crap! Also, do they really think after sitting in boring classes that these kids should have to come home and do more school work. When I get off work I don't want to have to think about the place until I walk back in the door the next morning. That's how kids feel too!

This rant doesn't even mention the time I have to spend driving the 15 year old around to different activities. God forbid we try to go to any events during the week...forget the homework...then if because we had things going on and the kids don't get their homework done they lose "cards" at school and don't get to go to "Responsibility Club" ....YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

They try to teach these kids responsibility but they aren't responsible themselves...oh lord, get me started.

I'm sure I'll have 3 teachers who despise me before the end of the school year but really.....no wonder so many kids are sick of school before they even hit high school, and no wonder our drop out rate and truancy rates are so high! (okay I admit that also has a lot to do with the parents...but I'm pretty sure I've never heard of so many kids already hating school!)

Jumping off my soap box now.

That's it for now, I'm sure I've bored, angered, or just outright made someone certain that I've lost my bloody mind, so I'll stop for now!

Have a wonderful day all! Safe and Happy Riding!


No comments: