Monday, December 17, 2007

Partial Sum Algorithm

My twins came home over the weekend with math homework. 2nd grade math homework that is.

Now they are using this Partial sum algorithm to do double digit addition problems.

so...for instance if the problem is 53 + 26 =

they have to write 50+30 = 80 (let me explain that neither of them understand the concept of rounding up or down and I had to take some time to explain this to them). Then they have to write the problem again...this way:

10's 1's
_______
5 3
+2 6
_______
7 0
+ 9
________
79

Then circle it....now does this seem to be totally stupid only to me? They haven't explained rounding so that the kids are comfortable...they also aren't teaching these kids to carry totals...etc.

What ever happened to good old addition? I mean really...and this isn't something new to me...I sat back almost 8 years ago trying to get through this with my daughter...who hated it, was frustrated and pretty much never got past the frustration and still hates math.

It takes longer to do math this way...it doesn't seem that the kids really catch the concept and it's frustrating to the parents who have to sit home day after day doing this with them....

Okay, off my soap box...I'd love to hear from some math teachers...let me also say I have discussed with a high school math teacher the state that the kids come into high school and this math teacher told me that it's very frustrating to have these kids come in to H.S. who aren't even near the level that they should be for being high school freshmen.

I really feel that this is just another example of the dummying down of American society!

All right. I'm off to work...not riding in today....but I think I will tomorrow because the temps are supposed to be in the 20's :)

Happy and Safe Riding folks!

No comments: