Friday, February 15, 2008

A Loss of Innocence

As many of you are aware - the shooting on the NIU campus yesterday was literally only a couple of blocks from my house.

The buses bringing home the elementary students was delayed of course....and unfortunately the kids knew before they ever walked in the house that there was a shooting at the university (Apparently a hysterical bus driver had said something over the bus radio and it came over all the buses, which means a lot of very freaked out kids).

So, the talk came...the fears were brought to light. This morning as my daughter was leaving for school I found myself asking if she had minutes on her phone, and if she remembered what to do if some one came into her classroom with a gun....

The same talk occurred with the younger ones, because apparently no one is left untouched.

I grew up in a small town in central Illinois. The only monster I was aware of was my stepfather who hurt me...my town was small, peaceful and safe. It is hard for me to accept that I live in a city where these things happen....not to say they can't and won't happen in a smaller town but it's just sad that innocence is lost...these kids don't know what it is to be carefree because they hear and see things that we never heard as kids. I think it's a sad state of affairs.

7 dead so far, including the shooter.

God Bless! Be safe!

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

I'm pretty sure a local school, Dartmouth High , was the first to make international news like this.

What often happens is over reactions from both sides. Not many look at the causes and facts before they rush to judgements, and that usually makes things a lot worse.

gabby1 said...

I just think when it's knocking on your back door it changes things much more than hearing that someone did something somewhere that you've never been. People here were under the impression that something like that would never happen here.

Luckily, people are really just pulling together as a community and that's what needs to happen.

I feel badly for everyone involved including the shooter, a person has to be in a very dark place to get to the point that they would do something like this.