Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Obstinate People

So, there is this lady who I work with that is obstinate - or dumb - or dumb like a fox. I have yet to be totally sure - the reason I am unsure you might wonder, is this....I can't wrap my mind around the idea that someone could possibly be as dumb as she seems to be.

Examples:

1. A resident of ours returned from the hospital but was going to be going to dialysis...this lady at work says "But, I thought she didn't have any kidney's."
...um....okay!

2. She constantly has to be told about the policies and procedures regarding different things. When a person says "I told you this the other day." She will look at them and any one else around with the most dumbfounded look on her face and say "You've never told me that before."

Okay, so you can possibly see how this is frustrating...but it gets better.

She wanted one of the girls that I'm in charge of to come work hours in her department. I told her that she could not work every Sunday in her department because the weekends are the hardest for me to cover...however, she could use her on Fridays during the day (she said she needed Friday's and Sunday's) and use her to fill in on the Sunday's that she wasn't scheduled to work in my department. She got bent and decided that if she couldn't use my girl in her department on the days that she wanted her then the girl who works both departments currently could no longer pick up hours in my department (let me also say that I hired this other girl, she's worked for me exclusively the past two years up until March or April when she began working hours in the other department).
Do you see how working or even talking to her can be frustrating?

Okay, so now we have an issue with something else...she can't follow the policies and procedures that my department has in place (she has to deal with us in regards to some things with the residents..) so today with approval from our Regional Director, I gave her a sheet of paper that explained all the policies and procedures of our department as they pertain to her (I emailed it to my regional and she emailed it back with approval to hand to this lady). Upon seeing the paper, which I even put in a sheet protector so that it would be kept in good shape, she freaked out...crossed out a bunch of stuff and was in the front office yelling about me and saying that I made up these policies and that she didn't have to follow them and then put it back in my mailbox with the "policies and procedures" as she feels they should be....

This is actually almost to the point of comic proportions except for the fact that I have to deal with her pain in the butt antics...it's a little frustrating but when I sit here and explain it I can't help but to laugh! She really can't be as dumb as she's coming off to be can she? C'mon people I want opinions....

Personally I wonder if she has a processing disorder that keeps her from being able to grasp even minimally complex directions.

Okay, that's my blog for the day! Fun times at work!

Take care and ride safe.

2 comments:

Sally said...

As sad as it may seem (and it's doubly hard for us b/c we are above the norm for intelligence), there are actually people that are that dumb -- which may or may not apply here.

I suppose a processing disorder is truly possible...makes you wonder how she got this far, though... providing written policies that are important seems like a good idea. Can you get anyone higher up to hand her the policies?

sorry you have to put up with this! In my world, this is on par with when teachers say they don't have to follow accomodations, etc. that are written on an IEP! GRRR!

gabby1 said...

Sally, you make me smile. It so frustrating...and I totally understand about the IEP accomodations - seeing as how the twins have always had IEP's and we have had to fight with the higher ups to accomodate what they need - even when the therapists have explained that they need certain things.
Monday we are supposed to be having a sit down to discuss all of this again! In the meantime she and one of her staff are being OUTWARDLY Hostile towards me...which is frustrating - I mean, we are at work, not in high school...she's not my favorite person either. However, I say good morning and try to avoid confrontation unless it's necessary to get my job done...apparently she hasn't come to the realization that when you work with someone you don't have to like them but you do have to be civil in the work place!