Friday, October 3, 2008

Cold weather regimine

3 days into October and I'm freezing. I actually decided against going to the football game because I just could not get warm today. The temperature around here has gone from shorts and t-shirts a week ago to long pants and long shirts with a sweatshirt or jacket in order to stay warm. On the bike this means gloves and a hat as well! Even my poor feet were cold this morning during the commute.

I suppose I should be used to this considering I have lived in Illinois most of my life...however, I keep forgetting just how cold it really does get and how quickly - only to be reminded once fall has hit.

So, the need for extra blankets has me considering what to do to keep the 30 lbs I have dropped off. I really don't want to go to my dear doctor in a few months only to be told that I'm fat! Therefore I need to seriously figure out what kind of workout regimine I am going to follow this fall/winter/spring. Don't you love Illinois weather? I mean truly we are stuck inside most of the year if we dislike the cold!

This morning I rolled out of bed at 5:30 a.m. about 15 minutes later than originally planned...because honestly - it was warm under all those blankets and I really didn't want to be cold! So, I took all the clothes hanging over the arm bars on the treadmill and put them over the ottoman. I also took the box of halloween decorations off the pad so that I could run. I ran...and felt like I had run a marathon after only logging 1 mile! When I finally climbed off I had rubber legs...very sad...considering I really didn't go that far. I hit the floor and did 100 crunches to follow up the run - hoping that the pain I would feel in my stomach muscles for the rest of the day would keep me from putting anything that would contribute to calorie intake into my mouth. I don't know whether that logic worked itself out for me today but I do know that it felt good to run...at least until I had jumped on the bike and was trudging up the hill on 1st street at a considerably slower speed than normal because my legs were protesting the extra effort.

By the time I left work my legs still felt a bit tired but I did better. I gave a slight bit of thought to perhaps going to the gym and hitting the pool as well (because for a moment I considered participating in a triathlon...I may have mentioned this before). I often think I'd like to do one...I know however that even if my running and biking are on par my swimming will never be...I'm just not a fast swimmer. So, I usually entertain the idea for a short period of time before laughing at myself and then letting that idea go.

Well, I'm tired and think I will hit my bed. I'm cleaning tomorrow - that's the extent of my plans for tomorrow.

Ride Safe and stay warm!

No comments: