Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Insane Squirrels

The only interesting thing this week was riding home in the rain yesterday. I was soaking wet within a mile of the office. Thankfully it wasn't terribly cold - at least not until I got home and was trying to unpack my bag to see if anything I had was wet...then I began to shiver...so off to the shower which felt wonderful. The interesting part of the ride - you may be wondering- was riding through Hopkin's Park and having a squirrel run out in front of me, dart back (which is the way I had turned my wheel to avoid an accident) and then run back again...quite interesting considering I was on that downhill section that you can get going pretty fast on...and in the rain it's probably a better idea to be on the brakes - but well, you know me, I like the speed. I did see someone on a cross bike riding the cross trail.
John and I discussed the whole cross thing again this morning. My fear is busting my backside during a fall. Okay, this is a fear I've always had - the idea of being laid up with an injury scares the hell out of me! Especially with cold weather approaching since we all know I do enjoy the comfort foods and lots of chili with onions, cheese and sour cream on Sunday's during the football games. However, the more I consider riding cross the more the idea appeals to me. I mean really, it's not that I'm afraid of scaring my body - have you seen my body - it's riddled with scares - most of which I'm pretty proud of. So, I guess it's just this irrational fear I have. I say it's irrational because there are other ways to fall, besides riding cross, which I participate in all the time; such as riding my bike year around - down major roads when there is snow and even ice on the ground...that's beyond busting your rear end - that's busting your head on the pavement and having a car run over your precious cabeca - which usually leads to severe brain injury or death...
Thus, it would probably be more rational to fear that kind of accident yet my fear is going downhill on a cross track and falling...DUH!

John also mentioned that he might sell his cross bike - which is a fixie - which is totally what Bob wants for about $600.00. I know I'm always complaining about money issues- but when it comes to bikes I can usually justify a purchase...Just ask Tobie! lol.

Other than that there isn't a lot to tell. I've made the transition over to Facebook, which I spend way more time on now than I do myspace. My space is very --- high school based where as Facebook seems to be ...well...no offense myspace people but it's just a more mature site.

All right - I'm off to finish getting ready for the ride into work. Taking the Trek Road bike....I've got lots of running around to do after work today and I'd like to be on the faster bike - it's just more expedient.

Ride safe my friends and beware of squirrels!

No comments: