Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After...

Isn't that the name of a movie?

Today was certainly interesting around work, and just about everywhere else I went. I heard lots about the Great Obama.

Okay, let me say - I don't think the guy is necessarily a horrible guy - I just don't like his politics. I take big issue with many of his ideas. Yes, I know that some of his ideas sound good - the problem is the consequences that can/will likely follow those ideas being put into motion.

You weigh out the good and weigh out the bad and then decide if it's worth doing - many of his ideas fall into the 'not worth doing' column.

I find it terribly disturbing that when I asked some of my co-workers why they had voted for Obama - the only reasons they could supply are not reasons that would have swayed my decision, indeed many of these reasons would have had me running the other way if I had been a supporter.
I was told that he is going to bring about change...okay - well, they all say they are going to change things, most don't change things - at least not for the better. I was told that he is a black man...well I was aware of that. Amazingly - however, I have never based an opinion on the color of a persons skin and I certainly wouldn't base my vote on it. I heard that he's going to take the guns away from everyone - that way there are no guns....WHAT? Genius idea - take away our basic rights - because in an effort to get safety we are willing to give up our rights and then before we know it we have no recourse...disarm and dismantle!

Those were the comments that stick in my mind...

What I know is this -
When someone comes along and promises me roses and poppies and beautiful things I wonder what the price for those things is. Call me a pessimist, but I don't believe that things come without a price.

I am aware that the government needs to change -I just don't see that change coming from the very people neck deep in the current government.
I don't believe that Mr. Obama was taken to task in the fashion necessary to get to the bottom of things by the media either - things were very quickly shoveled under the sand. I care more about Mr. Obama's personal views in comparison to those of that insane preacher that he was very close to. Nor do I feel that his sudden distance from said preacher was looked at closely enough.
According to him, once he's president my daughter will no longer need to let me know if she's pregnant and having an abortion - at the age of 16 - however, I still have to call her in sick to school because if she tells them she's sick they won't believe her. The state wants to fine me if she is truant from school - yet, she will be able to go have a major medical procedure that will kill an innocent child - AND could potentially end her own life without my husband or myself having knowledge of that? C'mon people - let's think a bit!
I could blab on for hours about how disturbing I think this all is. I feel that there is not enough known this man who is now our President - Elect. He ran on the word Change and everyone jumped on board.
It seems to me he's a smooth talker who is well educated, young, and charismatic.
Time will tell.

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

Isn't it funny how differently we think based on where we were brought up.

The mood around here is joy, happiness and relief. And watching the news reports and reading papers online, it's national.

You are in the position us liberals have been in for eight years. We were fearfull of what would happen to our country just like you are now. History has shown we were justified in our fears. Lets pray that your fear is unfounded.

Time will tell.

gabby1 said...

It's nice that your not cursing me out as many people have done in the past few days :)

I'm praying a lot! As you say only time will tell and I pray I'm dead wrong.

Thanks for the comments - I'm appreciate your views and would certainly fight for your right to express and hold those views. ;)