Friday, November 14, 2008

Thank God it's Friday...

This morning I took off from the house with some spare time before needing to be at work so decided to head through N.I.U. on their bike path to get to work. It was pretty warm out (still needed my coat and gloves but pretty mild). So I get a little over a mile and a half down the bike path when I realize I have just gone flat. Back tire!

Let me say, I have changed 1, yes that is it, 1 flat tire in the entire time I've been riding a bike. The only other flat I had was a front tire flat on a ride and the guys fixed it for me in like 2 minutes.
The flat I changed before was a rear tire but I was sitting on my front porch taking my sweet time with two spoons as tire levers.

The reason for that little bit of information is to clue you, the reader, in on the fact that I am not good, quick or efficient at changing a tire. SO, I pull to the side of the path. I take off my coat because I know I'm going to get warm doing this - take off the helmet and hunker down. I was aware that it was going to take a while.

So, I get the tire off. Accomplishment #1. I manage to wrestle the tire off the rim and pull the tube out. I was on a roll at this point! Now for the shameful part - it then took me about 20 minutes to get the new tube and the tire on the rim...Yeah pathetic! I know! I'm totally investing in tire levers! So, I start to air it up and my tire pump (it's one of those little compact thingies) breaks. WHAT THE HECK? ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? Yeah, I think I may have dropped a few curse words at this point. Keep in mind how dirty my hands were from messing with this bike tire - I haven't cleaned this bike really well since early summer!

Okay, plan B! I get into my panniers, pull out my bag and start rummaging around for my cell phone...WHERE IS THAT STUPID THING? A few more obcenities may have come from my mouth at this point. I look in the little bag hooked to my handle bars...nope not there either...I grab my coat off the ground - perhaps I stuck it in the pocket...OF COURSE I DIDN'T! So, I'm on the bike path with no cell phone and a broken air pump and a partially flat tire.

PLAN C...I put my coat back on, put my helmet onto my bars and start walking...I go to the gas station - I walk up to the counter and the girl says (before I can say a word) 'Oh my God, what happened to you? Are you okay?' I haven't yet seen myself other than my hands which are FILTHY! So, I say, "yes, but may I please use your phone?" She hands it to me with this look on her face...and I call the girl from work who always is offering me a lift on rainy days - I figure if she offers and I turn her down almost all the time maybe she'd be willing to pick me up this time. Sure enough she says she'll leave and pick me up...I have 10 minutes to spare so I decide to go wash my hands....Walk into the bathroom - OH MY GOSH! No wonder the poor girl at the counter was concerned - there was dirt all over my face...so, I attempted to wash this off with soap and water - unfortunately they didn't have papertowels - just that air dryer for your hands - so I did the best I could, which I have to say was pretty good and walked back out to wait.

Got to work without any more problems LOL! She gave me a ride home at the end of the day and here I sit. My bike is on the porch - I'll go look at it in a little bit - I'll use hubby's air compressor to put air in it!

Lessons learned today:
1. A person who rides a bike pretty much year round should really be more efficient at changing a tire.
2. A person riding a bike year round should invest in a good air pump or CO2 cartridges.
3. A person riding a bike year round should TAKE HER CELL PHONE WHEREVER SHE GOES!
4. It's good to have friends at work.
5. It could have been worse!

Have a good day and Happy riding!

No comments: