Friday, June 10, 2011

Opportunities abound...

Good morning! I had the most amazing encounter with someone last night that happened at the book store. Last night I went to pick up some books on summer curriculum for my darling boys...and there happened to be a gentleman in front of me picking up his books that had come in. He mentioned to the cashier that he was an Instructor of Portuguese at the University.

I being how I am said excuse me "Did you just say  that you are the instructor of Portuguese at NIU?" He replied that he was and asked if I was interested in taking the class. I asked if he taught Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese. Unfortunately he teaches Brazilian, however, he also speaks European. He then inquired if I was planning a trip to Portugal.  

When I told him that I am 100% Portuguese and that my family is from the Azores, he about flipped his lid. He said he's always wanted to visit the Azores and asked if I still speak any of it. I told him that I do speak a very limited amount but have been trying to slowly rebuild my vocabulary. He asked me to say a few things in Azorian Portuguese, so I obliged and we had a discussion on the differences between mainland Portuguese and Azorian Portuguese as well as the differences in Brazilian Portuguese. For example...Good Day I would pronounce as Bom Dia, however in Brazil they would say it Bom Gia.  He was very excited over this.

He gave me his number and told me to please consider taking his class in the fall. I am going to contact the admissions office today and find out what I need to do to take only 1 class over there. If I can take it simply for the joy of learning something etc.

If I am unable to do so, I intend to contact him and request that he privately tutor me once a week or something...

I am so excited about this encounter. It's a big town, what are the chances? Considering that Mae and Gilberto are living in Terceira, I really do need to learn this...besides it's part of my own history. I once spoke it fluently. It was my first language. It's a shame that I lost it due to the insecurity of my stepfather, but a bigger shame if I fail to take an opportunity that falls into my lap!

That's my exciting update...I desperately want to learn it. I want to hear it spoken. Going to ask my Mae (mother) to get me a good music CD. Music and learning go hand in hand for me...so maybe that's the ticket. :)

Okay, have a fabulous day all! I am late manager and since it's raining and I don't want to go running in the rain, I am going to sit here, have some coffee, play on facebook during my first cup, then probably work on some of the Chemo caps I'm making before heading in to work. Our floors are being torn up anyway so it's a horrendous pain in the arse to be there.

No comments: