Monday, June 4, 2012

The end of the world...?

I NEVER have anything prepared for Christmas...until about a month before the event, then I'm in hyper drive to get it all done in time without breaking the bank.

This year is not like all the rest in the past 20 years since I turned 18...this year I have an afghan complete, a bag I sewed complete, a crocheted purse, another afghan almost complete and I have begun gathering the photos I will need for a gift for my mother-in-law. My husband assures me this indicates that the world is going to end before Christmas! Which, I must say would really piss me off!

Here is the first of the photograph coasters I am making, there will be six total...two with her children (one when they were young, one now), one with our children, one with my two nieces, one with her great grandchildren (I have one of them together), and then I would like them all together so I can get a group shot of all 10 of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

This process was much simpler than I anticipated! And, even better I got the ceramic tiles at a garage sale for FIVE CENTS a piece! I purchased a dozen and someone else may be getting some as well or I may just make some for my own home.

1. Purchase your tiles.
2.Print out the pictures you want, I did mine on Card stock. I printed them to be 4x6 but then cut them down to a little under the 4x4 of the tiles.
3. Adhere the pictures to the tile using Mod Podge (I used the Gloss finish).
4. Do several coats of the Mod Podge on top of the picture, going all the way to the sides of the tile. The instructions read that you should allow 5 minutes drying time between coats.
5. Once it has all dried cut your felt, or whatever material you have decided to use (I used felt on this one, but because the tile is heavy, I think I am going to go with foam rubber on the back). Hot glue this material to the back....

That's it...cute, fast, easy!
Happy Crafting!

No comments: