Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Extraordinarily Nosy People

Okay, there is a certain person, who I will not name, that I work with. She is extremely nosy...going into everyone's offices when they are not in the building (she gets there before the butt crack of dawn so no one will catch her doing it).

She has a key to all of these offices but isn't supposed to. Even when a key gets taken away she still manages to get another (probably has several spare sets and a lock picking set at home just in case).

She also happens to be someone I report to. She goes through everything in my office with a fine tooth comb. I know this because I come into my office and things are missing, I've repeatedly asked that if she take something from my office she leave a note letting me know, she refuses to do this because that would mean showing some respect for someone and she seems to be incapable of such a thing. She also leaves notes on all of my things, can't leave a note about what she takes but leaves notes all over my desk and my books such as "be sure you call her daughter and let her know x, x, and y". If I don't report almost every move of mine to her, she comes into my office and looks to see where I've been on the computer, what insurance companies I have contacted etc. and will just leave notes all over my office and my files which are supposed to be reminders of things to do about each account but honestly are just another form of control to her because they annoy the (insert appropriate curse word here) out of me and are unnecessary because I actually do my job and do it pretty darn well.
Aside from this annoyance she also will take things that have been put in my "mailbox" in the front office, open letters addressed to me, open notes from my receptionists and just all around be extremely nosy. She will then try to come up with an excuse when she's called on it and say "Oh, I wasn't sure if you were going to be here early (I'm in the office before 9 a.m. every day and everyone knows that) and didn't know if it was something that needed to be addressed right away" which is a huge crock of you know what...insert appropriate term. Or she will try to act like she did something to help you out...also a crock.
Everyone in the building is frustrated by this. People talk behind her back all the time, discussing the latest thing she's done to someone. She also "taddles" to our corporate office constantly.

The problem is that no one will call her on the floor. Because at least in part, she is the person who brings in lots of money and does a damn good job doing her job, the problem is she spends 20 - 30 hours a week being nosy, checking to make sure I've done my job etc so then ends up with 20 - 30 hours of overtime each week because she can't get her job done in the time she should be able to.

It's ridiculous but no one, not even the corporate office will tell her off. She used to be a corporate person so she has that "protection".

Anyway, I've about had it. I haven't had someone stand over my shoulder so much since I was in the first grade in Rankin and Mrs. Collins used to stand over my shoulder yelling at me about how I spoke or wrote (Portuguese was my first language so English was my second and it made it a little difficult to do things correct sometimes, until I learned the language a little better). I really can't work under someone who constantly goes through my things. I mean honestly, my husband and I have a very intimate relationship, you get the point, and he wouldn't go through my things the way she does! It's rude! I've had enough. So I'm on the hunt.

God Bless!

1 comment:

amidnightrider said...

Maybe you should start leaving some traps. A little creativity on your computer may get her to stop looking.