Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sebaceous Cyst UGH!

After last Sunday's ride I noticed that I had a small raw spot from where something I was wearing was apparently rubbing when I was riding - I took my shower got dressed and didn't give it another thought...until I got up several mornings later and realized that it was slightly red and sensitive to the touch...I began putting salve on it and covered it...it just got worse...Finally I broke down Friday night and went to the ER because I had not been able to sleep Thursday night and by Friday when I got off work I was so uncomfortable I had just about had it.

They told me I had an infected sebaceous cyst....YUCK! The nice Doc tried to numb me up...which worked to an extent before he sliced and diced into my side (the little bit of tissue below your arm pit to the side of your boob)....Okay you probably didn't need all that information but I'm sharing it anyway...aren't you happy you are reading this lol....He says he's going to culture it but is going to start me on an antibiotic for MRSA ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735) because I work in a nursing home...

Last night I talk to the lab at the hospital, MRSA positive....Fabulous! Guess it's a good thing that doc was smart enough to put me on it - apparently my thoughts that I work in the office and don't do direct care were a bit off base...So, I am on the antibiotics, also have vicodin for the pain because there is a lot of pain (he dug around in there so much! the wound is pretty big and I'm pretty sure I lost a decent amount of underlying muscle from the cyst and from his digging around in there).

So, today I have the day off from work - not because of the MRSA but because I am taking the kids to the zoo. The wound is covered and I know what precautions to take regarding it (i.e. no sharing the luffa with anyone).

Will post pics from the trip later.

Be safe out there!

No comments: