Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wednesday Evening Ride

All week I've been looking forward to going on the Wednesday evening ride, especially after not getting an opportunity to ride over the weekend. The forecast called for warm weather and a little breeziness, I can live with that.

I rode the kids to school in the morning, the kids included 2 of the kids from the neighborhood who asked if they could ride with us the next time we rode - so I told them the night before that we would be riding...they were all at the house on time. It was a fun ride. I had a heck of a time getting 5 kids bikes locked up with one bike lock - thank goodness it was able to stretch and keep all 5 bikes safe for the day.
I left work and picked them up - my daughter (the 15 year old) hadn't had school yesterday because of ACT/SAT testing so she met us at the boys school and rode with us. The kids raced home (about a two mile ride with the route we took as it avoided a lot of the high traffic areas.

I left the house shortly after that to head up to the bike shop. I've decided I really hate those jersey's that have the elastic at the bottom...I have a tummy - and with the slick biking shorts, they tend to ride up and just make me feel fatter...so I wanted to look at jersey's there and see if they had anything on sale. To my delight they did have a few short sleeved jersey's on sale - I'm assuming the ones left over from last year as there were only about 4 of them. They were marked down 40%. It didn't take long for me to find the jersey I was going to buy - an aqua blue nike jersey...which goes along with my mtn bike cycling shoes that have aqua through them. Plus my trek is blue so it goes with the theme...oh yeah and my helmet is also a light aqua blue.

As I walked out of the bike shop, already wearing my new jersey, I saw that they guys for the ride were already assembling in the parking lot, so I went over and chatted for a while. My friend and riding buddy Karen didn't ride last night as she had to attend a scholarship committee meeting. So, I was the only girl riding, which always makes me nervous as I am NOT a fast rider ! I managed to stay with the guys just fine although I will admit that I stayed tucked behind the two leaders on the roads where we were heading into the wind - yep- I'm a wheelsucker and well, not really ashamed to admit it! No one had to wait for me, I kept up just fine - and on the other roads didn't bother to suck anyone's wheel :) I had planned on taking my camera to take pics but I'm just not sure I'm talented enough to ride and take a picture at the same time...I'm a little too clutzy for that!

Anyway, it was a great day!

Today will be my 36th commute to/from work this year! Pretty proud of myself as that's a heck of a lot better than last year. It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow but that doesn't stop me. Hopefully no lightening!

All right - I've gotta run! Have a super day and ride safe!

No comments: