Monday, November 24, 2008

Hospital

It was an interesting weekend -
Friday I got to work and within 30 minutes had been called by the school. Brendon had come inside from before school recess, accompanied by Gaven because he was having trouble breathing and said it felt like someone had grabbed his heart and was squeezing.

For most of you, the knowledge that Brendon has Pulmonary Stenosis and has had surgery is there, for the rest of you, that's an important bit of information.

SO- we went to the ER...the whole heart feeling like it was being squeezed was enough for me!

They did an array of tests and came to the conclusion that it's due to a combination of things, but basically is this:

Due to the cold (it was 16 degrees Friday morning) it caused his breathing to be labored (due to the lung damage from being on the resperators when he was first born) which in turn caused his heart to labor more thus causing the pain.

Conclusion: He should stay out of the cold; especially for long periods of time.

Is this not what I told the school at the beginning of the year - that forcing them to have to walk a mile and a half in the extreme cold would be potentially harmful due to their heart condition? Yes I did!!!
I have to talk to their cardiologist today. I'm going to push for him to write a letter to the school for all 3 boys that they have to be picked up by the bus (mainly in the winter months - in the fall/spring/and what part of the summer they go - it's not a big deal - I don't mind riding them to school.
I do however, not want them having to walk/ride in the winter (cold weather) and then being in the hospital day after day.

I also think this is a damn good reason to consider moving to warmer pastures!

Safe and Happy Riding. We have snow today!

No comments: