Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Mind of a 16 Year old....

My daughter (above mentioned 16 year old) has always struggled with math. She refuses to listen to any advice and won't consider doing more problems in order to figure out the math...

Okay...so rewind to August -
Mother/Daughter Conversation:

Mother: Cass, I know that you have struggled in a subject or two in the past, particularly math; however, this year do not bring home an 'F' at any point.

Daughter: (something along the lines of) :begrudgingly: that's so unfair you know I suck at math.

Mother: Yes, I know you struggle, I did as well, but you're a smart girl and I know you can keep the grade up. If you don't you will find yourself grounded or lose access to the cell phone and /or computer.

Fast Forward to Monday:
Midterm grades were received in the mail...

Band 'A'
English 'A'
Etc, etc, all A's until......
GEOMETRY 'F'

Conversation Monday Night:

Mother: Cass, come have a seat on the couch; we need to talk.

Daughter: Plopping down on couch - "What?"

Mother: Midterm grades are in and you have an 'F' in Geometry. What did we say would happen if you brought home an F.

Daughter: OMG are you kidding me? You know I'm bad at math - besides I just aced a test this week so it's not an F anymore.

Mother: Oh good - well, in that case bring me a note from your teacher or have them send me an email telling me you're above an F and you will be allowed to use the computer again. (mother had decided that since it was a midterm grade and not a semester grade that being grounded from the computer was punishment enough).

Daughter: Are you freaking kidding?

Mother: Not at all.

Daughter: I can't use the computer until I bring a note from my teacher? (there was a slight tone of panic in her voice at this point).

Mother: Absolutely.

Daughter: But my teacher is out of town until after the new year.

Mother: Well it looks like you are off the computer until school starts again then!

Daughter: ::Stomping up the stairs::: That is a bunch of crap!

Mother: Wait a minute: Be aware that if you do get on the computer you will be grounded from leaving the house for the entire Christmas break!

Daughter: Oh My Gosh!!! This is so unfair.

Fast forward to the following evening:

Mother jumps online and checks out myspace...sure enough daughter has uploaded pictures that day....hhhmmm...

Daughter gets home from band or acappela practice.

Mother: Cass, I just told you yesterday that you were grounded from the computer and yet today you uploaded pics to your myspace.

Daughter: I haven't been online.

Mother: Cass, it shows that you signed in to myspace today - updated your status and loaded pics.

Daughter: That wasn't me. That was Jen. She told me she loaded pics and asked if I wanted them...I told her I did but was grounded from the computer so I gave her my username and pw and had her load them onto my page for me.

MOther: Nice try at getting around me on a loophole/technicality...however, you are now grounded for the entire Christmas Break!

MOther walked away to hear a "OH MY GOSH! THIS IS CRAP! from Daughter.

Today>............................

Daughter: Mom, I know I'm grounded but Zak bought those tickets for me and Em to go with him to Chicago on the 22nd.

Mother: Well, maybe Zak can find another friend to go with Emily and him.

Daughter: Are you kidding me (notice she says this alot - like some mantra hoping that something won't come true)...?

Mother: Absolutely not. I told you that you were grounded from the computer - you chose to completely ignore me, knowing the consequences would mean you would not be going to Chicago as planned.

Daughter: ....Tears start ROLLING.... Oh my God...that's so unfair mom. He spent his money on that and it was his christmas present to me and Em...

Mother: Well, I'm sorry you didn't respect either of us enough to follow the rules as they were set before you. You made a choice and now you live with the consequences.

Daughter: BAWLING...This is so unfair!!! I didn't get on the computer.

MOther: Well, as a smart 16 year old, you should have checked with me to see if that was an acceptable thing to do- surely you've known me long enough ....(here mother points out that she's been living with her mother for 16 years and knows how she thinks) to know that I wouldn't think that was okay.

Daughter: YOu are so unfair to me! This sucks! ::::More bawling::::

Mother: You knew the rules, the consequences for breaking those rules and you chose to break the rules. I'm not arguing about it...there is nothing to argue about. You're grounded for Christmas Break. Keep yelling and carrying on and you will be earning further punishement and extra chores during break.

Daughter: Quieting sniffles and crying. Walks to the bathroom, locks herself in and continues crying for as long as humanly possible to continue crying - most likely while watching herself cry in the mirror to see if she's still cute!
***********************************************************************************

Let me say - this whole thing sucked! I hate grounding her but honestly I feel like by her totally ignoring the punishment in the first place it was a big "Screw you mom" so....in turn - her plans are now screwed!

Feel free to share thoughts. Not that I'm going to change my mind on this, but I'd love to hear how other people would handle such things.

OKay, safe and happy riding. I'm holed up waiting to see if we get the nasty pounding they are saying we are going to get. 6 -12" expected here.

Will update in the morning on how much snow we've got.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I say, "good for you, for sticking to your guns". I'm sure it is a difficult thing, but you are right...she should have known, and known that there would be consequences.

One time, I went with my friend on vacation and we stayed at her sister's (her sister had a maybe 9 y.o. at the time... After we left, my friend asked her nephew, "What did you think of Sally?" His response, "She was nice, but a little bit mean." I imagine that is how you must be as a parent, sort-of.

P.S. the school bus thing is bogus...it would not cost them any more to put Gaven on that bus w/ the younger boys...it would be different if they had to take him to a different school!